Subject: Install Question
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joseph R. Rach <nomad@UDel.Edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/1997 20:49:39
        Install Question - Tatung SS1 clone/NetBSD-1.2

        I trying to install NetBSD-1.2 on my sparc1 clone (Tatung). I've
        run into a few problems and wonder if anyone else has run into it
        and found a solution. Regardless of which method I've used either
        miniroot on swap or upgrading from SunOS, whenever I try to boot
        the netbsd kernel, it hangs. This happens with miniroot-12.fs,
        miniroot-12A.fs, the September 27th, and December 10th kernels.

        My initial thought here is that it has something to do with the
        strange SCSI-3 <-> sd0 mapping. I've removed all devices except
        one disk, and tried different scsi ids for the drive as well as
        different mapping for sd-targets in eeprom (01234567 and 31204567).

        I had similiar difficulties when I installed 1.1 a few months ago.
        I switched back to StunOS due to problems with my tape drive. I
        don't quite remember what I did. *I think* it was something to the
        effect of running installboot on the disk with target 3, then
        switching the id to 0 before booting netbsd. I've tried this as
        well.

        The boot hangs at here, the drive light stays on, and the keyboard
        locks. (NetBSD 1.2 (GENERIC_SCSI3) #6: Fri Sep 27)

                sd0 at scscbus0 targ 3 lun 0: ...
                sd0: 441MB, ...
                le0 at sbus0 slot 0 ...
                le0: 8 receive buffers, ...
                cgsix0 at sbus0 slot...
                cgsix0: attached to /dev/fb
                root on sd0a

        Sometimes, it hangs after: attached to /dev/fb and sometimes it
        displays a message about the time being off (right after root on
        sd0a).

        I think I may download 1.1 and install it, then upgrade. I've
        run MAKEDEV all in /dev, changed permissions/owner/group on the
        kernels (tryed booting both netbsd and netbsd.GENERIC), and ran
        installboot from StunOS.

        I've noticed a few different versions on INSTALL resting on
        ftp.netbsd.org and I'm pretty sure I've tryed all the methods
        listed, except using bootdisks. When I try booting from floppy,
        it never prompts me for the second disk, it bombs out instead.

        My basic questions are:

        What is the proper setting for sd-targets in eeprom?
        Has anyone else had this sorta problem and found a solution?
        Is anyone running NetBSD-1.2 sucessfully on Tatung SS1 clone?

                        Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
                        Joseph R. Rach