Subject: Re: Problems booting a sun4m
To: None <pgpeter@informatik.uni-siegen.de>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/1997 19:55:33
> Hello,
> i hope this isnt a FAQ and you dont get this message twice:
>
> I installed NetBSD1.2 on an Seagate2.7-GigDrive under my sun4c
> with NetBSD and an 1GigIBM-Drive.
> When i connected the Seagate to my SS10(AxilClone) i got the
> following:
> ----
> ttya initialized
> Cpu #0 TI,TMS390Z50^@
[snip]
> mainbus0 (root): SUNW,Axil-311
> cpu0 at mainbus0: TI,TMS390Z50 @ 36 MHz, on-chip FPU
> cpu0: physical 20K instruction (64 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l) cache enabled
> ---------
> Now happens nothing :(

Looks like the Axil has a supersparc-like CPU, but without the ecache. The
cache doesn't yet work on these machines (there's a coherency problem),
and it is supposed to get disabled. My best guess is that the chip isn't
getting recognized as such because its a clone rather than the real thing.
If you can rebuild the kernel, try commenting out the call to cache_enable()
at around line 419 of sys/arch/sparc/sparc/cpu.c, as below (the line
number is from 1.2B, so it may differ in 1.2):

                } else
                        printf("%s: physical %dK combined cache (%d bytes/"
                                "line) ", dev->dv_xname,
                                cacheinfo.c_totalsize/1024,
                                cacheinfo.c_linesize);
		/* cache_enable(); */