Subject: Re: Cheap SPARCstation 5's
To: Michael Ritzert <mjr@pc29.dfg-bonn.de>
From: Michael J. Miller Jr. <mke@terrapin.turbolift.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/1997 07:53:34
On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Michael Ritzert wrote:

>    over the same colormap entry.  Even at 40% off, Sun's stuff is way
>    overpriced.  Time has marched on, but Sun hasn't kept up.
>
> Not only sun --- look at the pricing of all workstation
> manufacturers. But compared to the pricing the "professional" PCs (not
> the ones intended for the consumers) of
> some famous companies the pricing is not WAY off.

The bottom line is you pay for quality.  I've managed a network that was
a mixture of suns and PC's bought at about the same time.  Three years
after purchase we hadn't lost a single Sparc.  We'd lost about half the
PC's in that time, with failures in everything from monitors to CD-ROM
drives to motherboards.

When I want inexpensive hardware I buy a PC.  When I want reliable
hardware I buy a sun.

-
Mike Miller             mke@netcom.com
(Pseudo advertising ahead)