Subject: Re: Cheap SPARCstation 5's
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/1997 16:05:12
In list.port-sparc you write:
>(Of course, I'm still grappling with the fact that there's still the reality
> that the same $3000 could buy me a PentiumPro 200 box with Fast/Wide SCSI
> and twice the SPECint as the SS5/170  (-: )

I just got a PPro-150 for netbsd 1.2 .  It certainly runs circles
around the ss5-85.  What used to be a 1.5hr compile is now done in 25
minutes.

The other thing thats really nice is the better framebuffer.  Nice
16-bit color means never having to worry about two programs lusting
over the same colormap entry.  Even at 40% off, Sun's stuff is way
overpriced.  Time has marched on, but Sun hasn't kept up.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     <http://www.wsrcc.com/>