Subject: Re: scsi sub-system
To: Marshall Midden <m4@nts.umn.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/1997 20:18:04
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:14:49 -0600
 "Marshall Midden" <m4@nts.umn.edu> wrote:

 > Hmmm.  I had this disk drive that claimed to be a quantum 80s, but
 > if you booted with it under sunos4.1.3_U1+, it said:
 > sd3:	corrupt label - bad geometry
 > sd3:	Label says 169932 blocks, Drive says 164139 blocks.
 >
 > Would be nice to have such messages with netbsd -- instead of getting
 > disk errors when it read beyond the end of the disk upon booting -- and
 > seeming to work otherwise.

"Read beyond the end of the disk upon booting"??  Err, I'd guess it
could read beyond the end of the disk if you explicitly did so, but
I'm fairly certain the NetBSD kernel doesn't just arbitrarily read
the end of the disk during the boot process.

Can you post the exact error message you saw, and what triggered it?

(FWIW, I agree that there should probably be some more sanity
checking in the disk code.)