Subject: Cheap SPARCstation 5's
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/1997 11:25:05
I don't know how many people saw the announcement recently, but Sun just put
out a Fujitsu 170 MHz TurboSPARC-based system, the SPARCstation 5 Model 170.

The interesting thing to us is that the base model - 32 Mb, 2.1 Gb disk, 17"
"Entry Color" (???) monitor - is only US $4695 list price.  Luckily, working
at JPL (which is affiliated with Caltech) lets me purchase one machine a year
from Sun's price list through the Caltech campus bookstore at full discount,
so I could get one for somewhere around $3000 (including a point for their
efforts and sales tax).  Given that the thing has a higher SPECint than
the SPARCstation 20/71, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

(Of course, I'm still grappling with the fact that there's still the reality
 that the same $3000 could buy me a PentiumPro 200 box with Fast/Wide SCSI
 and twice the SPECint as the SS5/170  (-: )

Along these lines, what is the current (1.2/-current) state of audio support
in NetBSD for the SS5 again?  (According to the announcement, all of the other
non-CPU bits in the Model 170 are exactly the same as in the 110 MHz SS5.)

Decisions decisions,

	- Greg