Subject: Re: ie messages, etc.
To: Charles Lepple <clepple@foo.campus.vt.edu>
From: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/15/1997 09:52:31
Charles Lepple wrote:

> So who wrote the ie driver? Or, does anyone have specs for the 82586? I could
> check the Intel web site but I have very low expectations.

You shouldn't actually have too much trouble getting specs on
the '586; the problem is just that it is an absolute dog to
work with.  To paraphrase someone that's worked with it for
years, "it was the first integrated LAN controller, designed
by an EE who wasn't allowed to design a processor, and it
shows".

If you're seriously interested in writing an MI '586 driver,
the ISA code (Wollman et al) or the sun3 code are probably
the most full-featured starting points.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"