Subject: Re: New hardware: Tadpole.
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/1997 23:54:09
On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> 1) Linux isn't thinking about supporting many platforms NetBSD supports
>    When is Linux for Sun3 coming out? Linux for VAX? How's Linux for
>    DECstation coming along (weren't they working on it?)?

Just to get some facts in order, this isn't quite true. The Linux-68k
folks are thinking about supporting the Sun 3. However, I don't
know that any work has actually been done on it yet. The Linux pmax
port is, to quote its portmaster, `boot[ing] as far as the "Calibrating
delay loop.. " message on a variety of DECstation 5000 series
machines.'

As far as the debates about how `split' or `not split' various
communities are, that's not even worth starting in on. Linux has
one kernel (if you don't count the non-integrated stuff, which is
steadily being integrated) and a dozen different userlands. BSD
has three kernels and three userlands (well, two and a half, really,
if you count OpenBSD as being mostly NetBSD). This is a perfect
area for endless debates between parties using different definitions
of the terms of the debate.

Anyway, if anyone wants to continue this discussion, I'm happy to
do it in private e-mail or in comp.unix.advocacy.

> I REELY hope
> this doesn't turn into another flamewar.

Um...best way to do that is to avoid replying to these sorts of
messages. :-)

Anyway, I'm sure that few of us are really mourning David Miller
leaving from our list. I don't think anyone was out of line this
time around (unlike the last flame-fest). I would however, like to
suggest that in the future the best reply to `Linux does this
better,' would be `how nice; would you mind coding that up for
NetBSD as well?' If they state that they're not going to do any
such thing, we are then justified in pointing out that a discussion
of features that don't exist in NetBSD and that the discusser has
no intention of putting into NetBSD is not appropriate for the
NetBSD lists, and should be taken elsewhere.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.