Subject: New hardware: Tadpole.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/11/1997 11:07:20
	How hard would it be for port-sparc to support IDE?  What a
question, eh?  Well... I've got a 'Tadpole' here in front of me.  I
took the liberty of completely disassembling it.  RAM is all soldered
on and only 8 megs (manual claims there is a 32 meg version), but the
rest of the machine is pretty nice for a laptop.

	OK... it's disk is an IDE drive --- A Quantum Go*Drive.  It's
ethernet is also strange --- comes up as an 'ni0' with SunOS 4.1.2.
It also has a floppy.  If I were to get this working seriously, I
would probably replace the 80 meg drive with a modern 1 gig (assuming
there isn't some feature that I'm missing to do that).

	The system runs a CL GD 6410-32QC-AD video chip.  Will this
mean that XF86 is my best bet for an X-window system?  It also has
APM.  There are ethernet, serial, mouse, parallel and modem ports on
the machine.  It also has an internal mouse which is a key that is
sensitive to pressure.

	Do I have any hope of getting NetBSD on this?

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |