Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 on sparc
To: None <mouse@holo.rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Todd Seeman <tseeman@afterlife.ncsc.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/10/1997 09:05:49
Ooops, sorry, I forgot to cc: the mailing list on my last reply to mrg.

> From port-sparc-owner-tseeman=afterlife.ncsc.mil@NetBSD.ORG  Fri Jan 10
08:46:48 1997
> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:02:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

> > What do I need to upgrade to netbsd-current?
>
> Either a current snapshot, if the most recent snapshot for your
> architecture is current enough for what you want, or a current source
> tree and space to do a "make build".  If you're upgrading too far, you
> may have to upgrade to the most recent snapshot first, or else build by
> hand a little to get things in the correct order (eg, -current
> Makefiles use a Q modifier; after installing *.mk in /usr/share/mk,
> you'll have to install make for them to work).

I am in the process of installing the binary snapshot.  I need to be able
to rebuild a custom kernel once -current is installed, so I just grabbed
everyhthing in /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files.  Was this correct?
I know I don't need gnu.src and games.src, but do I need everything else?

> > Executing halt on NetBSD 1.2 does _not_ take me to the boot prompt.
>
> What _does_ it do?  "It works for me."

I get the following messages (I might have the exact wording a bit wrong):
Syncing disks ... done
System halted

Then it just hangs.

Todd