Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 on sparc
To: None <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Seeman <tseeman@afterlife.ncsc.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/09/1997 09:31:05
Matthew,
> From mrg@splode.eterna.com.au  Thu Jan  9 08:33:57 1997

>       When I try the mount, I get the following error message:
>    msdos: mount: Operation not supported by device
>
> this is caused by the lack of support for the msdos file system
> in your kernel.  you can add (as someone else has noted)
>
> options MSDOSFS
>
> to your kernel configuration file, and rebuild the kernel.

This is compiling as I write....

>    >2) I cannot configure a second ethernet interface.
>
> you really need to upgrade to netbsd-current for this, unless
> you're prepared to either (a) back-port the code to 1.2, or
> (b) find someone else to do it for you.  :-)

OK, since I'm here, I will admit the true extent of my ignorance.  What do
I need to upgrade to netbsd-current?  My machine is not connected to the
internet, so I can't use SUP.  So, my guess was to go to
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/ , download
sys.tar.gz, install the sources on my machine, and reconfigure/rebuild the
new kernel. Am I oversimplifying?  What else would I need to to, or am I
on the wrong track entirely?

>    >3) I cannot get to the boot prompt after halting the machine.
>    >   In SunOS (and during the boot cycle) pressing <L1>a will take you to
the
>    >   PROM boot prompt.  Issuing the halt command in SunOS will do the same
thing.
>    >   This does not seem to work with NetBSD.  Is there any way I can get to
the
>    >   boot prompt without turning off the power?
>
> this should work.  both of them.  BTW, pressing stop-a isn't a
> nice thing to do, and should be avoided as much as possible,
> as it can lead to file system corruption, if used incorrectly.
>
> does it simply do nothing ?  halt(8) should return you to the
> prom.

I understand the inherent dangers of <stop>a.  One reason I want it is
because I have SunOS installed on a second disk in the workstation.
I want to be able to halt BSD and boot SunOS without cycling the power.
Executing halt on NetBSD 1.2 does _not_ take me to the boot prompt.
A second reason is that the machine is standalone until I get it properly
configured, and it sometimes hangs on me.  <stop>a seems less drastic than
turning off the power. This is a minor thing, really.  It just annoys me.

Thanks,
Todd