Subject: Re: can't su
To: Spark Stuff <netbsd@zapcom.net>
From: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/09/1997 22:52:09
Spark Stuff wrote:

> Sorry if I'm asking too many questions....but I have finnaly figured out
> adding users and have now added ttyp0 as a secure port, but when I try to

Don't mark any of the ttyp* ports "secure".  Secure is used by login
to determine whether the user 'root' can login directly on that
port.  Please read the documentation.

> do "su" or "su -" , it then askes for the password and I type in the
> password for root and it then tells me BAD su for ROOT...what am I doing
> wrong, is there a file I need to configure first?

You are getting the password wrong.

Others have suggested that you are not in group wheel; that's not
correct - you would get the message "you are not in the correct
group to su root" in that case.

It has also been suggested that your 'su' is not setuid root, however
'su' doesn't log the "BAD SU" message unless it is setuid root.

You are simply getting the root password wrong.  Try logging in
on the console as root, and make sure it works there.  Then try
typing it carefully and slowly.  Then check that you don't have
Capslock on.  Then check that you're not using backspace or
delete while you're typing it.

Then try changing it from the console, and try again.  You could
try hacking the 'su' source to log why it is rejecting you too.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"