Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.2 on an IPC
To: Gavin Cameron <gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>
From: Gavin Cameron <gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/09/1997 10:12:50
I thought I'd reply with what I've been told and what I've deduced about
my problems.

> I'm using a vt220 as my console. When I log in, either as myself or as
> root, all my programs seem to think that the terminal has 34 lines instead of
> the 24 it actually has. I'm thinking that my termcap is stuffed. How do
> I recreate the termcap.db file from termcap? TERM is set to vt220 in the
> environment.

The EEPROM had screen-#rows=34 rather that screen-#rows=24. 1.2 apparently
looks at this variable, whereas 1.1 didn't.

> Secondly, under 1.1 I had absolutely no problems with my ethernet card.
> Every couple of minutes, 2 seems likes the magic number, I get console
> messages saying that le0 is timing out? Should the programs, like samba,
> that I compiled under 1.1 still work under 1.2? or do I need to recompile
> them?

This one is more interesting and I think that it points to a bug in the
ethernet code. Using the GENERIC kernel everything works, compiling up my
own generic kernel everything is fine also.

I decided to take GENERIC and remove stuff that I didn't need. Everything
compiled correctly. The machine would boot but I'd get a timeout every 2
minutes. Hhhmmm....

I'll play around a bit more when I get the chance, but compiling a kernel
on an IPC isn't fast.

I was running under 1.1 with a cut down kernel without any problems.

Any ideas?

Gavin

--
| Gavin Cameron                       |             Ormond College           |