Subject: NetBSD 1.2 on sparc
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Seeman <tseeman@afterlife.ncsc.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/08/1997 14:04:25
I posted the following to comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc.  I received no
response, so I am mailing it in hopes of reaching a different audience.
If this is a faux-pas, please let me know. However, I very much need
an answer to question 2, regarding a 2nd ethernet interface.

In article <5au505$138@afterlife.ncsc.mil>, tseeman@ncsc.mil (Todd Seeman) writes:
>I have installed NetBSD 1.2 on a Sun SPARCstation 2 (sun4c).  uname -a gives me:
>NetBSD 1.2 machinename 1.2 NetBSD 1.2 (GENERIC) #4: Fri Sep 27 22:03:25 MET DST 1996
>
>I have several problems/questions.  I searched the FAQs, READMEs, and the bug
>database to no avail.
>
>1) I cannot mount a DOS formatted diskette.
>   The README file states that the sun4c built-in drive is supported.  I have
>   SunOS installed on a separate drive in the same machine, and SunOS can
>   successfully mount and read the diskette.  My entry in /etc/fstab is:
>/dev/fd0c /pcfs msdos rw,noauto 0 0
>
>   When I try the mount, I get the following error message:
>msdos: mount: Operation not supported by device
>
>   I also tried mounting it as readonly, I tried /dev/fd/0 (and others).
>   Is this a bug in the sparc port, or do I have something misconfigured?
>
>2) I cannot configure a second ethernet interface.
>   The README states that the port supports the on-board interface (le0) and
>   "Sbus AMD Lance ethernet cards".  I was able to successfully configure le0.
>
>   However, the install did not recognize the Sbus ethernet card which was
>   installed.  When the system boots, it recognizes the card (I get a message
>   telling me that it found "lebuffer" at the appropriate Sbus slot).
>   But I can't configure the interface, and a comment in the kernel config file
>   states that lebuffer is not yet implemented.  So, which is true?  Can I
>   install a second ethernet interface or not?  Is there a patch, or a new
>   version which supports "lebuffer"??
>
>3) I cannot get to the boot prompt after halting the machine.
>   In SunOS (and during the boot cycle) pressing <L1>a will take you to the
>   PROM boot prompt.  Issuing the halt command in SunOS will do the same thing.
>   This does not seem to work with NetBSD.  Is there any way I can get to the
>   boot prompt without turning off the power?
>

>I would appreciate any insight, particularly regarding the ethernet question.

Thank You,
Todd Seeman
tseeman@afterlife.nscs.mil

----- End Included Message -----