Subject: Re: Drive formatting...
To: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/07/1997 12:18:31
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Zadok wrote:

> > # disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd3c m1558
> > disklabel: /dev/rsd3c: Device not configured
>
> that means that the kernel doesn't know about the drive... either the
> number is wrong or you should have a look at your cables...
> try <dmesg |more> to see where the kernel puts your disk to.

Also check to see that /dev/rsd3c exists. And keep in mind that
sd3 does not refer to the disk on SCSI ID 3, it refers to the fourth
disk found by the system. Examine your boot up logs carefully (the
output of dmesg or by looking at /var/log/messages) to see just
what drives the kernel found.

> I know... ever tried to disklabel a zip drive with NetBSD ? :-(

I did this and found it as trivial as disklabeling any other disk.
I even had my Sparc booting from a zip drive for testing purposes.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.