Subject: Re: Drive formatting...
To: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/07/1997 18:18:36
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Allan 'Norm' Crain wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Zadok wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Allan 'Norm' Crain wrote:
> > you have to create an entry for your drive in /etc/disktab ( I think it
>
> Got that.
> m1558|Micropolis 1558 defined by allanc:\
>         :ty#winchester:ns#35:nt#15:nc#1218:dt#scsi:\
>         :pc#639450:oc#0:tc#4.2BSD:
> Does this look anything close to correct?
I think so.

> Every time I use disklabel, I get an error. Could it just be that I don't have
> the write SCSI numbers etc?
>
> # disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd3c m1558
> disklabel: /dev/rsd3c: Device not configured
> # disklabel -e /dev/sd3c
> disklabel: /dev/sd3c: Device not configured
> # disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd1c m1558
> disklabel: /dev/rsd1c: Device not configured
> # disklabel -r -w sd3 m1558
> disklabel: /dev/rsd3c: Device not configured

that means that the kernel doesn't know about the drive... either the
number is wrong or you should have a look at your cables...
try <dmesg |more> to see where the kernel puts your disk to.
( hint: the numbers have nothing to do with the scsi-id of your drive, the
kernel just assigns numbers to them in the order it finds them... my sd0
sits on 0, sd1 on 3 and sd2 on 6 since it's a zip drive which can only use
id 5 or 6... )

> It's very frustrating.
I know... ever tried to disklabel a zip drive with NetBSD ? :-(

bye
Michael