Subject: Re: Drive formatting...
To: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Allan 'Norm' Crain <allanc@idea-inc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/07/1997 05:23:56
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Zadok wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Allan 'Norm' Crain wrote:
> you have to create an entry for your drive in /etc/disktab ( I think it

Got that.
m1558|Micropolis 1558 defined by allanc:\
        :ty#winchester:ns#35:nt#15:nc#1218:dt#scsi:\
        :pc#639450:oc#0:tc#4.2BSD:
Does this look anything close to correct?

> was disktab... or something very similar ) where the disktype has to be
> set to SCSI, a geometry that matches your drive somehow and a c: partition
> with exactly the blockcount of your drive ( you may take less but I don't
> think you want this :-) ) and them put the new disklabel onto your disk
> using something like <disklabel -w -r /dev/sd?c yourlabel> I think it was
> this, better have a look into disklabels man page ( something like ... put
> an initial label onto your disk ) so. then set EDITOR to your favorite
> text editor if you don't like vi and type <disklabel -E /dev/sd?c> and
> create something like this:
> a:	32768	300	4.2BSD	1024	1024	40
> which creates a partition a which is 16MB, starts at offset 300 ( to
> prevent eventual bootcode from being overwritten ) type 4.2BSD, inodesize
> 1024 bytes and 40 cylinders per cylindergroup. other types may be <boot>
> for your c partition to make the disk bootable, <swap> for a swap
> partition and <4.2BSD> for a BSD filesystem.
> if this works without an error ( verify the disklabel using <disklabel
> /dev/sd?c )  you may create filesystems using <newfs /dev/sd?a> or
> something like this.

Every time I use disklabel, I get an error. Could it just be that I don't have
the write SCSI numbers etc?

# disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd3c m1558
disklabel: /dev/rsd3c: Device not configured
# disklabel -e /dev/sd3c
disklabel: /dev/sd3c: Device not configured
# disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd1c m1558
disklabel: /dev/rsd1c: Device not configured
# disklabel -r -w sd3 m1558
disklabel: /dev/rsd3c: Device not configured
#

It's very frustrating.
Allan "Norm" Crain |  allanc@idea-inc.com  | http://web.idea-inc.com/~allanc
"We'll have fun fun fun 'till my daddy takes the T1 away" --nby@idea-inc.com