Subject: Re: 1.2 and CCD headache.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/27/1996 00:36:12
Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>  >   a:   638946      414    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16
>  >   c:   639630        0   unknown
>  >
>  > They ccdconfig together just fine, but when I go to edit the
>  > disklabel on the ccd ('disklabel -e ccd0') and then save, I
>  > get :
>  >
>  > disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Read-only file system
>
> Are you using the "a" partition of the component disks?  Hmm.. If you'e
> getting EROFS, it's likely that one of your components falls on the
> label area of a component disk... the label area is protected from writing
> during normal operation.

Yes, I'm using the 'a' partitions (that's why they're there 8).  As
they're
200K away from the start of the disk, I have trouble understanding why
they
would overlay the label.

> Can you send me the output of "ccdconfig -g"?

ccd0            46      0       /dev/sd2a /dev/sd3a /dev/sd4a

All three disks are labelled identically :

# /dev/rsd2c:
type: unknown
disk: CDC Wren IV 941
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 46
tracks/cylinder: 9
sectors/cylinder: 414
cylinders: 1545
total sectors: 639630
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:   638946      414    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    1 -
1544*)
  c:   639630        0   unknown                        # (Cyl.    0 -
1544)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"