Subject: Re: wanted: sparc 4m miniroot
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: behind brown eyes <benji@haven.boston.ma.us>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/25/1996 12:08:34
According to Carl S Shapiro:
>>Ugh.  I don't think that NetBSD/sparc groks Solaris 2.x filesystems properly
>>(yet).  You may be losing in a big way because of that.
>
> This is possible.  Under both Solaris 2.5 and 2.5.1, I have had much luck
> mountng the Solaris "s5fs" volumes under the respective port of NetBSD on
> the same machine, as well as reading and writing data to the partitions.
> I am not quite sure how *safe* it is to write to the drives, but mounting
> read only has caused absolutly no noticable problems.

As far as I know, the file system format used for Solaris 2.x is the same as
that used by SunOS 4.1 (which NetBSD supports).

I remember seeing this somewhere on-line, but now I can't find the information,
although I've confirmed this myself (moving a disk from a 4.1.2 to a 5.5
system, without any problems).

	benji

--
Benjamin R. Cline	Large Furry Mammal 	benji@haven.boston.ma.us
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular." -- Adlai Stevenson