Subject: Re: crashing when starting X
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/23/1996 23:09:51
   howdy, just updated my sources (via ctm, very simple!) to current, and am
   in the process of upgrading my kernel etc..  its been a while, so I made
   a bad mistake, I copied my new kernel over the old one (gah) but at least
   I had a very old one (year old) lying about that does work ok..

   anyway, the new kernel panics and dies if I try to start an X session,
   or do any big compiles.  It goes like this..  anybody any ideas?

if you boot the old kernel, run this:

# gdb -k -w /netbsd
[ ... gdb startup ... ]
(gdb) set nbuf=128
(gdb) ^D
#

this will limit the number of buffers.  this is caused by the changed of
MAXBSIZE, which has shown itself to be rather annoying on lower end sparcs,
and we must (for now) work around with the above.  there are also others
options available;  i mailed them to this list recently.