Subject: Re: Get me off this list!!!
To: None <wally@pdss.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/19/1996 15:02:09
[I'm sending this to the whole list myself in the hope that it will
forestall the _next_ instance of this problem....]

> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:51:37 +0000
> To: johns@luna (John Stone), mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org (Mike Frisch)
> From: Wally <wally@pdss.com>
> Subject: Re: Get me off this list!!!
> Cc: port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG

> Please, Please get me off thisd list!

Sending such things to the whole list is generally a bad idea.  It
wastes lots of resource and bothers everyone on the list, the vast
majority of whom have no power to do as you request (in some cases,
perhaps even all of them).

You're almost certain to have much better luck first sending to the
address you sent to to subscribe, or if you can't find that (didn't
keep it, doesn't work any longer, etc) the conventional -request
address (in this case, port-sparc-request@netbsd.org); if neither of
those does anything useful, postmaster on the hosting machine is the
appropriate next step.  Bothering the whole list is never approrpiate
before all of those have been tried; if you do have to hit the whole
list, it's a good idea to describe what you've tried, to avoid replies
like this one. :-)

When sending to -request addresses, keep in mind that you may be
writing to a human or you may be writing to an automated list manager
like majordomo or listserv.  What I usually do is stick in a line for
an automated responder, then a blank line, then some for-a-human text.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca