Subject: Re: PPP
To: None <jfacree@eos.ncsu.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/07/1996 16:54:19
At 02:54 PM 12/7/96 -0500, jfacree@eos.ncsu.edu wrote:
>Anyone,
>	I've been having trouble with PPP.  It seems thateverything in the options
file works fine, and the modems conect and start ppp on the remote machine.
But then my PPP dies, saying modem hangup and communications terminated.
But if I jump into Kermit after this has happened, I can connect and the
remote machine is still running PPP, and the modems are still connected.
Just my PPP has quit.
>	This is what's in my /etd/ppp/options files
>crtscts
>defaultroute
>noipdefault
>connect 'chat REPORT CONNECT ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY ABORT "NO
DIALTONE" "
>" AT OK ATDT53407 CONNECT ""  "gin:--gin:" "XXXXXX" "word:" "XXXXXXXXX" ">"  \d
>\d\d\d\d\d\d "" "/local/bin/pppd"'
>

>I'm running on a Sparc IPX, using the NetBSD-1.2 release, not -current.  My
modem is a USRobotics Sportster 28.8 V.34 and 33.6 faxmodem.

>PPP is supported in my kernel.
>Anyone have any ideas?

Well, you can start by cleaning up that options file. What I have is a file
called /etc/ppp/chatscript, and I put the entire chat script in that file.
The in the options file I (from memory, sorta hazy) connect 'chat -f
/etc/ppp/chatscript'. This way both files are that much more readable.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. -   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM     http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/       -   kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu