Subject: Re: SparcStation LX and le0
To: Angelos D. Keromytis <angelos@aurora.cis.upenn.edu>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/01/1996 20:08:27

> I have a SparcStation LX on which i'm trying to install NetBSD 1.2;
> the systems comes up fine and it even recognizes le0; however, when i
> try to use the network, i get "le0: lost carrier". If i reboot in
> Solaris (yes, i know, but that's what they used to run on it), the
> network has no problem whatsoever. I tried shutting down the interface
> and restarting it, using another address, reboot a couple of times...
> Any helpful suggestions ?

You need to add a flag to the ifconfig for le0 to specify which port you
are using (auto-detection of AUI/TP was broken in 1.2; it is fixed in
-current). If you are using twisted pair, add "link0"; if you're using
AUI, add "link1". For example, in /etc/hostname.le0, put

inet myhostname 0xffffff00 NONE link0

(replace myhostname and the 0xffffff00 netmask and "NONE" broadcast address
as needed).

--Aaron