Subject: Re: Some Sparc problems
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/1996 10:44:44
> On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:17:43 -0800 (PST) MLARKIN@CSUPomona.Edu wrote:
> >
> >  > 3. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get PGP to compile and work...
> >
> > This is likely due to a long/off_t problem... last time I built pgp, it only
> > got it right on i386/NetBSD systems... might check that.

Yes, it's long/off_t.

> I never got PGP to compile and work on my Sparc, either, though it
> worked fine on the i386. I seem to recall talking to the maintainers
> and having them admit that this was a problem in PGP itself. I
> never did follow up on it, though I vowed to do so one day.

The *only* think that doesn't work when one compiles PGP "out of the box"
are the compression/decompression-stuff from zipup.c and zunzip.c, you can
test this by running a crypt/decrypt with "+compress=off" (from memory).

In zipup.c and zunzip.c all you need to do is make the right arguments
from the lseeks into off_t, and voila, you have a perfectly working
PGP. Twice now I have mailed this to pgp-bugs, but had little response so
far...

Caveat: This is from memory (deleted the source-tree quite a while ago)
but I do have a pgp that works well.

Regards, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
  Nothing would get done in the world, if we didn't have insomniacs.
           Or at least, nothing would get done at night.