Subject: Re: Some Sparc problems
To: None <MLARKIN@csupomona.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/1996 22:45:48
On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:17:43 -0800 (PST)
 MLARKIN@CSUPomona.Edu wrote:

 > 1. The Solaris JDK doesn't work under NetBSD (panics the machine and reboots).
 >    (Actually, this happens to me due to libresolv not working right. Is this
 >     just me, or has anyone gotten >ANY< Solaris X programs to work? Anything
 >     linked with libresolv totally kills my machine.)

If you save the panic message, and stack trace, that would help.

 > 2. The realaudio Solaris/SunOS player doesn't work, complains about "Error
 >    opening audio device"

I think that our audio interface is a bit different...

 > 3. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get PGP to compile and work correctly.
 >    If I bring in a SunOS/Solaris one, I get a problem when I go to generate
 >    my keys, like the system isn't recognizing keypresses.. If I compile under
 >    NetBSD, I get errors when decrypting. "corrupt file" etc..

This is likely due to a long/off_t problem... last time I built pgp, it only
got it right on i386/NetBSD systems... might check that.

 > 4. Perhaps the most serious, and this has been a bug I've pointed out MANY
 >    times, is that any user can take the whole machine down by typing the
 >    following:
 >
 > $ cat xxx.au > /dev/audio &
 > $ eject floppy
 >
 > It gives several lines of "Spurious Interrupt" and then panics and dies.

Hmm, thse two devices both use the "fast interrupt" mechanism...

So, it's really only users who can open the floppy for writing... as
a stop-gap, you can tighten up perms on the floppy.  That should help
until the bug is fixed.