Subject: Some Sparc problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <MLARKIN@CSUPomona.Edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/1996 22:17:43

Some things I've noticed:

1. The Solaris JDK doesn't work under NetBSD (panics the machine and reboots).
   (Actually, this happens to me due to libresolv not working right. Is this
    just me, or has anyone gotten >ANY< Solaris X programs to work? Anything
    linked with libresolv totally kills my machine.)

2. The realaudio Solaris/SunOS player doesn't work, complains about "Error
   opening audio device"

3. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get PGP to compile and work correctly.
   If I bring in a SunOS/Solaris one, I get a problem when I go to generate
   my keys, like the system isn't recognizing keypresses.. If I compile under
   NetBSD, I get errors when decrypting. "corrupt file" etc..

4. Perhaps the most serious, and this has been a bug I've pointed out MANY
   times, is that any user can take the whole machine down by typing the
   following:

$ cat xxx.au > /dev/audio &
$ eject floppy

It gives several lines of "Spurious Interrupt" and then panics and dies.

I'd especially like to get PGP, JDK, and RA running. I've "fixed" problem #4
by setting the permissions on /dev/fd0x to be root-only, so that doesn't
affect me any more. Has anyone got a solution to libresolv with Solaris? (Oh,
BTW, the libs I'm using are from 2.5.1).

-ml