Subject: Re: Asymmetric Ethernet problems and rash of "le0: lost carrier"
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/1996 14:09:19
Brian Buhrow writes:
> 	I've seen behavior like this before.  If the asymmetric nature of the
> connections only exists between your SPARC and other machines on the net
> and not between any other two machines on the net, I'd say you have a
> failing thin net tranceiver.  We had a problem about six months ago where a
> tranceiver failed in just this way.  That is, incoming packets toward the
> tranceiver worked fine, but outgoing packets would somehow causse the
> tranceiver to toggle the carrier pin on the AUI port.  If you can get a
> hold of another thin net transceiver, I'd try changing that first.

Well, I did some more testing.  I plugged in a Network General Sniffer and
it said it didn't see any problems with the cable.  I plugged the
SPARCstation into my officemate's Mac thick Ethernet transceiver cable and
the problem persisted.  Getting suspicious, I then booted SunOS 4.1.4 off of
CD-ROM and manually ifconfig'ed le0 under the SunOS miniroot and rcp'd
/vmunix to another host.  Yep, you guessed it, Yet Another Rash Of
"le0: No carrier - transceiver cable problem?" messages on my screen.  Arrrgh.

At this point I'm convinced that the Ethernet hardware on the motherboard
might be toast.  At any rate, it no longer seems NetBSD-related so I won't
bother the list with it.  It's sure making life miserable, though.  Sigh ...

	- Greg