Subject: Re: gen usr AS root with YP
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Lloyd Parkes <Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/20/1996 09:09:22
> > [ deleted stuff about YP setting the uid/gid ]
> This is actually a feature, as explained in the passwd(5) manual page.  It
> allows a system administrator to map some or all users to `nobody's uid,
> for example.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but being able to do this with the root uid
strikes me as asking for trouble.

I initially thought that perhaps the YP code should handle uid 0 as a special
case, but then I thought that perhaps this was using code to enforce policy,
which isn't always a good thing. So why not get vipw to check that the user
hasn't used any uid/gid below 100 with the YP matching facility? After all,
vipw is supposed to make sure that you haven't done anything stupid with your
passwd file, which is something I find very handy.

Cheers,
Lloyd