Subject: MakeBootTape
To: None <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/1996 18:11:20
> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:23:05 -0800
> From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siva.captech.com>

> Has anyone out there been able to successfully create (and boot from)
> an 8mm NetBSD/sparc 1.2 boot tape?

The Sun3 port has support for making boot tapes, and I believe
it works exactly the same way for the sparc port, so you should
be able to use src/sys/arch/sun3/stand/tapeboot as a start.
That is used, along with src/distrib/sun3/{ramdisk,miniroot}
to make a boot tape with the following "MakeBootTape" script:
(which I have fogotten to check in anywhere...)

#!/bin/sh

# Here is a generic script that makes a Sun3 boot tape using
# the files in this directory.

T=${1:-/dev/nrst0}
set -x

# Make sure we start at the beginning.
mt -f $T rewind

# Segment 1 is the tapeboot program.
dd if=tapeboot of=$T obs=8k conv=sync

# Segment 2 is the ramdisk kernel.
gzip -d -c netbsd-rd.gz | dd of=$T obs=8k conv=sync

# Segment 3 is the miniroot image, unzipped!
gzip -d -c miniroot.gz | dd of=$T obs=8k

# Done!
mt -f $T rewind