Subject: RS232 dropping chars (no more)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/1996 11:34:34
Hello everyone,

First of all, a little apology. The problem with the character-lossage
is far less serious than I described it in my previous message: It turns
out that only bash is affected by it. I had tried other shells, but only
from the bash-prompt, and so I erronously concluded that all shells, and
therefore the kernel itself dropped chars. Thanks to some hints from Tor
Egge, I found that when using another login-shell there are no trouble,
not even when I start bash in it. The fix I made in bash is very small:

In line 363 of lib/readline/rltty.c I replaced the TCSANOW with TCSADRAIN,
and that seems to work very well so far.

This way, first all pending transmissions are completed before the new
TC takes effect, as others turned out one shouldn't change those while
the serial chip is still transmitting. Tor Egge sent me a different fix
just after I had worked out mine, that might also be worth looking into.

But on my Sun3, this problem doesn't exsist, so I still think that upgrading
our serial driver would be worthwile, though a bit over my head.

Regards, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
 "Read some Kerouac,  and it put me on the tracks,  to burn a little
    brighter now"    - Torch song, Clutching at straws, Marillion.