Subject: Re: Performance NetBSD vs. SunOS
To: Michael J. Miller Jr. <mke@timebox.turbolift.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/1996 11:51:07
> On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>

> > Actually, this only shows that there is something fundamentally
> > wrong with Solaris. It shouldn't be possible to emulate a system
> > with the gain of double speed.
>
> If I were to guess I'd say that you were probably doing this on systems
> with a smallish amount of RAM, say 16meg.  Solaris is certainly a memory
> hog, and doesn't tend to run properly in anything less than 32, with
> 40 or more being ideal for most workstations.  You can get by with less
> if you are not running openwindows or X.

It was measured under the same conditions. 32MB internal memory,
otherwise idling machines and not running X on the same machine.
(plenty of memory free). I tried to get some interesting info out
of time, but it only shows that Solaris spends much more time in
kernel space but _also_ more time in user space (!). This is of
course dependent of what the system counts in user time.

-- Ragge