Subject: Re: Type 3 Keyboard on Sparcstation 1
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/1996 20:03:24
> Will a type-3 keyboard work on a Sparcstation 1, both under the
> console and X?

Well, I have used a type-3 on an IPC; I would assume it would work
equally well on an SS1.  I didn't try X - at worst, I expect, you may
have to bludgeon the X server into realizing that it's got a type-3
instead of a type-4 - but it certainly works fine in "bare console"
mode.

> If so, does anyone know where I can get an adapter?

I made mine myself.  Get a miniDIN-8 cable - the simplest thing to do
is to go to a computer store and get an oldish Macintosh printer cable,
which is a miniDIN-8 on each end with all eight pins wired through -
and cut it in two.  Then identify the wires with a continuity tester
and solder on a DB-15.  The necessary pinouts can be found in the
relevant Sun manuals; I can also mail you an ascii-graphic wiring
diagram if you want.

Sun sells an adapter that goes the other way - to use a type-4 (or
higher) on an old machine.  I would assume one of those, plus a DB-15
gender-mender, would work too, though I haven't tried it myself.
However, unless you are really in the boonies with respect to parts, or
you really value your time, you can probably wire up several adapters
yourself for the price of that one Sun cable, never mind the gender
bender.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D