Subject: Re: Performance NetBSD vs. SunOS
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/1996 19:33:05
> I also like to hear some other arguments, other than having the
> source, for using NetBSD on a sparc [instead of SunOS/Solaris].

I have run some tests on 2 SS4's, one with NetBSD and the other
with Solaris 2.5, and all solaris binaries I have run under NetBSD
runs almost twice as fast under NetBSD than under Solaris. (!)
This is also true for plain java code running under Sun's java
1.0.2 on both machines.
Actually, this only shows that there is something fundamentally
wrong with Solaris. It shouldn't be possible to emulate a system
with the gain of double speed.

-- Ragge