Subject: Re: "screen not found"
To: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@pacific.net.sg>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@vlad.supp.cpr.itg.telstra.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/17/1996 15:55:12
Ng Pheng Siong writes:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:
> > I found a working Sun monitor somewhere, and plugged it in. At the prom pro
> mpt,
> > I typed "screen output". I got "screen not found".
>
> Not kosher to followup to myself, I know. Anyhow, I've managed to find a
> notebook and I'm using a terminal program as console. Works fine. ;)
>
> However, since there are Sparc gurus about on this list, my question is:
> is "screen not found" indicative of a hardware problem?

When I've used serial consoles on Sparcs that don't have a screen or
keyboard plugged in, I get that message to.

If I intend to continue to use the serial port as the console, I set the
following in the PROM to stop the warnings:

	input-device            ttya
	output-device           ttya
	screen-#rows            24

Luke.