Subject: Performance NetBSD vs. SunOS
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Gerald Kluge <daniel@vis.inf.ethz.ch>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/1996 00:55:22
Hija,
we're gona replace a machine (SS1+), which serves for various purposes, like
mail-host, www-cache, remote-logins and so forth.

Until now I let it run under SunOS 4.1.4, but now I'm thinking about switching
to NetBSD, because since the last problems in the Internet (SYN flooding
bastards), having the source to the complete kernel is becoming a strong
argument for it.

But I rember, that on the Sun3 Architecture, the performance of NetBSD was
remarkably worse than SunOS, on some Unix-Benchmarks.

Did anybody run some comparison-benchmarks on Sun-4 Machines ?

I also like to hear some other arguments, other than having the source, for
using NetBSD on a sparc.

Thanx..

-daniel
P.S. The new machine will be a SS20 with probabely 16-32MB of ram

--
Daniel G. Kluge - President VIS / http://www.vis.inf.ethz.ch/~daniel/
E-Mail: daniel@vis.inf.ethz.ch (NeXT-Mail welcome) [ Pager 152-99-54082 ]