Subject: Bootable CD?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/09/1996 09:27:18
I tried looking in the FAQ about this, but struck out.

I want to make a bootable CD for NB-sparc similar to the ones for
SunOS 4.x. That is, partition 0 is an ISO filesystem, partitions 1-n
are filesystems containing a kernel that loads up a memory filesystem
containing tools sufficient to load the miniroot from the ISO slice
and boot it (format, dd, mknod, anything else of interest).

1. How does one make a partition table for a CD? Presumably the
table goes in the 32k of blank space at the start of an ISO9660
FS (which is why such CDs are still mountable on PCs and the like)
and says that the ISO partition starts at block 0.

2. When booting the OBP loads /boot, using the list of blocks set
up by installboot. So I can make a tiny FS, do an installboot, copy
a kernel and whatever else in. Fine. Does the NetBSD /boot know how
to read in the kernel from a CDROM based partition instead of a
regular disk?

3. Has anyone got the table of CD partition to karch handy? I _think_
it's

a=iso
b=sun4
c=whole disk
d=sun4c
e=sun4m

but I am probably wrong.

4. Has anyone got any hints as to what should be in the MFS kernel?
Is there already a RAMROOT kernel out there I should use? Would it be
more sensible or less for the RAMROOT to be basically empty except
for /dev, /stand/mount_cd9660, /stand/vnconfig, /stand/mount_ufs and an
/sbin/init that mounts the ISO slice, sets up /dev/vn0a to point to
the miniroot FS and mounts that read-only someplace? With an MFS
you'd get some R/w space to play in while still having all of the
utilities from the miniroot available to use (/dev/vn* may be a
FreeBSDism. I haven't done much NetBSD yet, but simply _must_ get rid
of SunOS 4.x before the bit rot kills it).

Thanks in advance.