Subject: Re: Xsun24 anyone?
To: None <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/26/1996 22:29:42
> Isn't this basically the same thing? Unless the X server does a
> FBIOSATTR or something similar on the frame buffer, it behaves as a cgthree.
> You can try this by opening the frame buffer under solaris and doing an
> FBIOGTYPE ioctl -- it says cgthree; FBIOGATTR says it is a MDICOLOR emulating
> a cgthree.

I guess it does, since my Solaris X server no matter how hard I try,
and speak with it starts in 24 bit mode.

> But you just said in a prior message that the cg14 patches are not yet
> available...is there any way to get a hold of them? Have they been
> submitted to the X consortium? Right now the cg14 works find on NetBSD
> in 8-bit mode (cgthree emulation, just like solaris), but
> the X server coredumps when the driver is emulating a cgeight, and it
> dumps core before even mmaping the display.

Duh.  Well, as soon as we release them, that is.

The TCX patches for 24-bit mode operation have been released for quite
some time now, you can get the RPM with the patches against X11R6.1
from Red Hat's ftp site.

> but the X server coredumps when the driver is emulating a cgeight,
> and it dumps core before even mmaping the display.

I guess it is not surprising, the cg8 does not look like a cg14 at all
(unless I am missing something here): The color setup is very
different, and the mdi has only three modes: 8bpp, 16bpp and 32bpp
(this one is the one you can actually drive in 24 bit mode by careful
setup of the X lookup table and careful use of that table on the X
plane).  Mhm, probably you are using the chunky mappings, that would
be a close approximation?  In any case, you still need to get the
color right for the mdi.

Miguel.