Subject: Re: Bootstrapping on a Sparc...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/1996 11:19:44
Peter Seebach wrote:

> Well, a friend has a 4/110, which may (?) run NetBSD successfully... but
> we have *no* boot tapes or disk for it.  Is there a bootable NetBSD
> distribution that I can bootstrap?  If so, how would I create the tape?
> (I do have an appropriate sun tape drive available elsewhere...)

Depending on the video in the 4/110, it should work fine.  I have one with
a CG6 on the P4 bus, which works.  The 'sw' SCSI controller works,
though I have never tried a tape drive.  The boot code for the 4/110
needs to have the a.out header stripped off, when you're making a
tape.

> (I may be able to get this from him, if he decides it's too much trouble.
> I think it's probably slower than a 3/80, but it's sorta cool looking.)

It is just a bit faster than a 3/60.  It is a real sparc though, which may
or may not mean anything.. :)

-Andrew