Subject: Re: Progress on the SS2, questions about probe-scsi
To: Gregory S. Burd <kiva@pecos.com>
From: None <david@mono.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/17/1996 15:49:46
On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Gregory S. Burd wrote:

> David,
>
> 	Well the whole story is something like this.  The SS2 has an
> internal drive that I suppose is at SCSI ID 3.  It used to boot from that
> drive until someone wanted it to have X11 and other things on a local disk
> to improve the speed.  Well that disk was too small (only 100meg).  So I
> hooked up another drive at SCSI ID 2 and changed the boot command to look
> to that ID after I built the drive SUNOS 4.1.3.  Then I used the internal
> drive as a raw disk for a Sybase database.
>
> 	Now the only drive that is on the bus is the internal 100meg drive
> and I never changed the hardware settings on that drive.  Nothing is
> attached externally.  When I do the probe-scsi, nothing.  Does this point
> to a blown fuse?  Or an unrecognizable drive thanks to Sybase?  Or a blown
> bus?  Or a blown drive?  How should I diagnose this?  I do have another
> drive or two to hook up and run tests.

	(Apologies for the delay in replying)
	probe-scsi does not depend on the contents of the disk - so sybase
	could not have made the drive unrecognisable (unless it caused it
	to be physically damaged).

	It really does sound like a blown fuse or dead drive.

	Try hooking up another drive instead of the suspect one and run
	probe-scsi again...