Subject: Re: sparc questions
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
From: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@phoenix.sfsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1996 14:06:51
On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Thomas Graichen said:
>
> >it's labelled "sparc classic x" - but it looks like it is extended a bit -
> >from www.sun.com i found out that the classic x doesn't have an scsi
> >controller - but mine has at least an external scsi connector on the back - or
> >does als ohave the machine without the controller the connector on the back ?
> >
> >on which details i can find out what machine it exactly is - and what type of
> >sparc would it be - sun4, sun4c, sun4m ?
>
> The Sun Sparc Classic X is a complete Sparcstation Classic except that
> the boot prom can only see le0.  The prom can't see the SCSI or serial
> ports.  However, installation of a standard Classic rom will make it
> whole again.

Really? I did this about a year back, and if I remember right, the prom's
were the same fru for the classic x and classic I had experimented with.
Just by placing the classic's nvram into the classic x caused it to
regain all its functionality. I remember having suspicions about the
packages portion of the device tree (what is the "deblocker"?).

Jon