Subject: Re: new floppy boot images (finally!)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/14/1996 13:49:57
Jason wrote:
>>>    I tried to boot the previous version of these floppies on my SS4.  It
>>>    worked just fine up until it should eject the floppy and mount the root.
>>>    However, it did read the kernel just fine :-)
>>
>> right;  up to that point, the kernel hadn't touched the floppy driver  :)
>
> Yah ... it's a good bet the kernel _recognized_ the floppy controller and
> possibly the drive ... but the chip used on the sun4m is a bit different,
> and the registers that do things like control the eject mechanism are in
> a totally different place...

Is the information in the SunOS 4.1.4 <sbusdev/fdreg.h> not enough to
figure out how to get these things to work?

My naive reading of that file says that it shows the layout of the 82077
controller chip registers, says which one is the "Digital Output Register",
and then gives the bits to twiddle in the Digital Output Register to do
things like EJECT, MOTEN (motor enable), RESET, etc.

(Unfortunately, the only fd.c I have access to pre-dates the use of the 82077)

Matt, just for fun I'll try to boot the floppy images on my TriGem clone here;
it uses an 82077 controller ... I wonder if it's used like on the SS10's or
is in some mutant configuration.

	- Greg