Subject: How should I install NetBSD-sparc?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gregory S. Burd <kiva@pecos.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/08/1996 10:45:49
Greetings,

	Although I am a newbie to the sparc-port, I am very fluent with
BSD.  I am looking for some advace for dealing with this type of
architecture.  I acquired a sun sparc-2 clone with a 100meg hard drive and
16meg RAM. It was a netboot machine at a company I used to work for and
works fine.  Now that I have it at home I want to build it NetBSD-sparc.
Now comes the hard part.  My internet connection is 14.4, and its a shared
phone/internet line so I can't use it all day.  I don't have another
UNIX machine to build from at home, this will be my primary machine.  I
don't have a tape drive, but I would consider buying one if I knew which
one I should get.  I do have an old NeXT CDROM drive that I could hook
up, but thats it.  I know that I will get a larger hard drive, but I am
not sure how big and what type.  I know what a struggle it is to setup
drives on a sun machine and I don't want to get a drive that is really
problematic.

To summarize:

QUESTION: What media should I use to build this machine NetBSD-sparc?
QUESTION: How do I go about getting that media?
QUESTION: What verison of NetBSD-sparc should I use?
QUESTION: Should I get a tape drive?  What kind?
QUESTION: What type of hard drive should I get, how large?

thanks for all the help in advance,

-greg

Gregory Burd
http://www.pecos.com/~greg                    greg@pecos.com