Subject: boot problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/21/1996 09:15:15
Hi there...

recently I tried to install NetBSD 1.1 on a spare SparcStation IPX that a
professor don't want anymore :-)
first I installed Solaris on it to get it basically working ( ever tried
to put solaris on a 200MB disk ? funny I can tell you... ) an spent
several hours in tweaking a big Indigo to work as a boot-server for the
sun. Some hours later the sun loads the NetBSD-kernel via network, the
usual hardware diagnostics messages appeared and so on, but at the point
when normally the root filesystem should be mounted and init should be
loaded the sun hangs and I got lots of RPC_TIMEOUT's and that was it
then... the NetBSD bootloader loads the kernel via NFS, right ? My kernel
lies in that directory that should be the sun's root... so why the kernel
gets loedad but then the indy seems not to like NFS anymore ?
hmm. my next step was to get sparc-linux, moved the NetBSD-root somewhere
else and replaced it with the linux root. it boots without any problems
and the only difference between them seems to be that NetBSD uses a boot
loader and linux loads it's kernel via tftp.
the permissions on the NFS root are properly set, under Linux I could do
whatever I want with it...

If anyone could give me a hint...

bye
Michael