Subject: "swap generic"
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/26/1996 22:46:48
> [trouble with -4/110 and a disk]
> On a unrelated topic, it appears that the 'swap generic' kernel
> config option is not all that generic when booted from the ether.
> Any attempt to add swap space on a disk results in 'device not
> configured' errors.

You'll also find, I feel sure, similar problems if you boot from disk
and try to swap on the network.  The code contains comments indicating
that whoever wrote it wanted it working soon and therefore cheated,
overloading mounting root and mounting swap, so that you have to swap
to at least the same _type_ of device that you have root on.

Or do you mean when using swapon after boot?  If so, "swap generic"
will never work; "swap generic" allows you to swap to anywhere, but to
only one anywhere - you can never add more swap after boot.  This is
the basic problem that prompted the recent small discussion about
dynamic (or semi-dynamic - hot-add but reboot-to-remove) swap.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D