Subject: Sun x/260 memory
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/23/1996 20:19:55
	While this isn't strictly in tune with the list, the machine
in question runs NetBSD... so it's close enough.

	I have 24M in each of my Suns --- a 3/260 and a 4/260.  Now
the manuals that come with the machines speak of 'terminating
resistors' on the cards --- and that all but the last card must have
them removed.  Now, there are thingies (now you all know how technical
I get about hardware) that resemble SCSI terminators on the board,
none of them are removeable.  And... besides IC's, I can't find
anything that would make sense to remove from the board --- let alone
something to remove that is near the VME connectors.

	These are all 8M VME boards (memory around about the density
of shaving cream) some of them made by Sun, some others by 3rd party
manufacturers.

	The only reason I worry about all this is that the CE
(Correctible Error ?!?) light will come on for the card in the middle
slot even if I change which card is in the middle slot (although I
havn't booted all eight combinations yet).

	Anyone have any advise?

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |