Subject: seeking testers for sparc kernels
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/1996 14:46:22
Hi all,

I've been working on rewriting the Sparc CPU identification code as a first
step in cleaning up a lot of the crufty code that results from differences
between CPU models in each of the Sparc families. This work is also needed if
we ever make it to multiprocessor NetBSD.

I've got a test kernel that implements my first whack at these changes, and
since the changes affect the Sun4, Sun4c, and Sun4m, I need people to try it
out and see if it boots (I only have an SS20 to test it on, and I had to guess
at a lot of the sun4/sun4c details).

For those of you with SS4s and SS5s, the code should now (theoretically)
support the microsparc-2 caches, but no guarantees. For those of you getting
panics about 36-bit iospaces on microsparcs, this kernel will provide more
diagnostic information to help me find the bug.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could try booting this kernel on various machines
and letting me know if it works. It is a GENERIC 1.2A kernel.

Please note, however, that there are absolutely no guarantees that it will
work at all...standard disclaimers apply.

Find it at:

ftp://rioja.eecs.harvard.edu/pub/abrown/netbsd_cpusoftc.gz

Thanks!

--Aaron