Subject: Re: clean your fans [reminder]
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/02/1996 19:24:36
>>>>> "Mouse" == der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> writes:

>> Clean your fans, before it's too late!

Mouse> I agree.  We've already lost two power supplies, apparently to

Mouse> All the pizza-box Sun-3 machines appear to be vulnerable,
Mouse> including the -3/50, -3/60, and -3/75....

	I've actually had to replace fans in my 3/260 and my 4/260.
The 'pan' of fans in the bottom of the machine 'suck' from the
backplane.  This is fine except that when one goes the rest remain
running --- but with far less effect since air can whistle in the
stopped fan.  There seems to be lots of warning for this --- the fans
make a gosh awful noise as their bearings go.

	Anyways, for those of you with the deskside (12 slot VME)
chassy, there are 9 fans to worry about:

	- 6 fans in the 'pan'.  Get at these by removing the front
face plate... then you need to let down the power supply (to unplug
the pan from it), then take out the screw in that bottom pannel and
pull it forward.  The real problem here is to get the fans back in the
exact right spot.  The back of the 'pan' has to slid into the 'slot'
at the top rear of this access.

	- While you're at it, your power supply has a fan (The thing
disapates upto 15 amps(!) ... so it'd better!

	- The two obvious ones at the back are the hardest ones to get
at.  You have to remove the top and the left side.  To really 'get at
them' you'd have to remove the drive cage too, but you can probably
vacuum without going that far.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |