Subject: Re: Conner CTD 8000 DDS-2 DAT Drive
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/02/1996 13:53:32
> On Sun, 30 Jun 96 23:48:39 EDT
>  "Joseph R. Rach" <nomad@udel.edu> wrote:
>
>>     I'm a new user to netbsd/sparc! I'm currently using NetBSD 1.1 on a
>>     sparc1 clone. Having just gotten the system loaded and running,
>>     including compiling X11R6.1, I'm ready to load my personal files
>>     back on. The problem is I backuped up my files on dds-2 drive, and
>>     it doesn't seem to be supported (directly). The only real problem
>>     is using mt. Here is one error message I'm getting:
>>
>> sd0(esp0:0:0): timed out (ecb 0xf8659c98 (flags 0x12, dleft 2000), state 3,
>>    phase 257, msgpriq 0, msgout 0) AGAIN
>> esp0: SCSI bus reset
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>     Taking a quick look in /sys/scsi it appears that dds-dc is listed,
>>     but not dds-2. It looks like I can put a hook in for my drive in
>>     st.c(?). Has anyone gotten this drive to work?
>
> Actually, the error message is coming from your SCSI disk ... looks like
> the tape might be in the middle of executing some command, a disconnect
> botched, or something, and the bus wedged.  The driver then resets the
> bus, and you are apparently able to continue on normally.
>
> [...]
>
>>     For others having a similiar problem, implementing mt -f /dev/nrst0
>>     fsf # is not hard. Just do multiple tar -tf /dev/nrst0. I'm sure
>>     there is a more creative solution, but I'll leave that exercise to
>>     someone more qualified.
>
> Ok ... it defintely looks like a disconnect/reselect issue with your tape
> drive (note that the "tar" command issues reads which advance the tape,
> whereas the "mt fsf" command actually issues a SCSI command to skip file
> marks).  The bus is tied up while the command is in-progress, unless the
> device disconnects.  Note, not all devices _like_ to disconnect; your
> tape drive might not...

For what it's worth, I'm having very similar problems getting an Exabyte 8200
drive to do anything useful on an SS2+Weitek running a -current (userland and
kernel) from June 6th:

sd0(esp0:3:0): esp0: timed out [ecb 0xf85f3550 (flags 0x2, dleft 2000, stat
0)],
 <state 5, nexus 0xf85f34f8, phase(c 7, p 7), resid 0, msg(q 0,o 0) >

sd0(esp0:3:0): esp0: timed out [ecb 0xf85f3550 (flags 0x12, dleft 2000, stat
0)], <state 5, nexus 0xf85f34f8, phase(c 7, p 7), resid 0, msg(q 0,o 0) > AGAIN

esp0: SCSI bus reset

st0(esp0:4:0): unit attention, data = 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 0b 11 e3
ea 00 00 00 00

Can't really get it to do much more than "mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind".

	- Greg