Subject: Re: linux audio emulation/realaudio..
To: None <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Charles Lepple <clepple@swift.mitre.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/01/1996 08:13:27
> Also, as another datapoint, the SunOS RealAudio player (on NetBSD/sparc
> funnily enough) dies when it could not find /dev/audioctl.
> [...]
> Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org

I noticed this problem with some SunOS diagnostics programs. According to the
SunOS manuals, /dev/audioctl is just a /dev/audio without data capabilities
(only ioctl() code) and without the one-open-at-a-time limitation (ie one can't
have 2 programs opening /dev/audio at the same time, but several can open
/dev/audioctl.) This *should* be a five minute kernel hack (but I'm not sure
that folks here at MITRE would appreciate me tinkering with NetBSD on their
machines %^) )

--Charles Lepple
clepple@swift.mitre.org
clepple@foo.org