Subject: Re: Log structured filesystem
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Allen Ediger <metamatic!ediger@uucp-1.csn.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/30/1996 15:33:25
On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Unfortunately, the LFS in NetBSD just doesn't work, and never has really
> worked.  I've heard that Margo has newer code available, but to my
> knowledge, none of it has been incorporated into NetBSD.

Would someone be able to point me to this newer code?  I ftp'ed the
lfs.tar.gz and lfsutils.tar.gz from her LFS web page:

http://das-www.harvard.edu/users/faculty/Margo_Seltzer/usenix.195/
ftp://virtual.harvard.edu/pub/margo/usenix.195/lfs.tar.gz
ftp://virtual.harvard.edu/pub/margo/usenix.195/lfsutils.tar.gz

My second step, after rebooting to ditch all the "DW" and "D+" processes,
was to go through Seltzer's code, comparing it file-by-file with the
stuff in /usr/src/sys/ufs/lfs.  There are differences, but I can't find
any that look substantial.  Whatever BSD Seltzer used for her LFS
papers had slightly different typedefs than NetBSD 1.1, used a different
credentials mechanism, had a struct timeval in struct dinode instead
of two separate fields, and had a less consistent way of calling the
functions that implement system calls.

There are a handful of even less important differences.